1980 ‘Whiteheads, Hatfield Broad Oak - an Essex Lobby-entrance
House Reconsidered’, Post-Medieval
Archaeology volume 14, pages
189-96 (with Ian Johnson). (A farmhouse wrongly identified by Maurice
Barley and others as a lobby-entrance house of 1560 is found to have
developed in stages at three different periods; the date displayed
1981 ‘Reading the Timber’, Period Home (in five issues, from April to December 1981). (Describes
how to read clues in timber-framed
buildings to former features which are now missing).
1981 ‘Antique Ironwork: Wrought Iron Windows - Part 1’, Period Home volume 2 number 3, (October/November 1981) pages 44-5. (About
the wrought iron casements in common use from the sixteenth century to
the early nineteenth century, with examples from Essex and Suffolk).
1982 ‘Antique Ironwork: The Development of Glass and Wrought Iron
Windows - Part 2’, Period Home volume 3 number 1 (June/July 1982),
pages 13-7. (More about the above, with a brief history of the early
use of glass windows in vernacular houses).
1982 ‘Antique Ironwork: Cast Iron Windows and Fanlights’, Period Home volume 3 number 3 (October/November 1982), pages 5-9. (About
the cast iron fanlights of the late eighteenth century, and the cast
iron windows of the nineteenth century).
1982 ‘A Smoke-Curing Chamber at Brockley’, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology
and History volume
35 part 2, pages
117-21 and Plates V-VII. (About a chamber for curing meat, etc., in the
roof of an early seventeenth-century farmhouse in Suffolk).
1982 ‘Warm in Winter, Cool in Summer’, Country Life, 11 November 1982, pages 1472-3. (About the earthen buildings
known locally as 'witchert').
1983 ‘Discovering Old Water Pumps’, Period Home volume 4 number 3 (October/November 1983), pages 8-10.
(About eighteenth and nineteenth-century
water pumps, with examples in Essex).
2, Church Path, Wendens Ambo’, Historic
Buildings in Essex number 1 (December 1984), pages 11-16.
(with drawings by Douglas Scott). (About
a small village guildhall converted to a house at the Dissolution
of the guilds in 1549).
1985 ‘The Introduction of the Lamb’s Tongue Stop’, Historic Buildings in Essex number 2 (September 1985), pages 2-5 (with
drawings by Douglas Scott). (Better known outside Essex as the scroll
chamfer stop; produces evidence that it was in fashionable use in Essex
by 1564, and in vernacular use soon afterwards).
1985 ‘The Bread Oven’, Period Home volume 6 number 3 (March 1985), pages 23-6. (About the
brick bread ovens installed in farmhouses
and cottages in the nineteenth century).
Nogging in the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Centuries, with examples drawn
mainly from Essex’ Transactions
of the Ancient Monuments Society volume 31, pages 106 - 33. (The infill of timber frames
with bricks is often regarded as a modern development. This paper produces
evidence that the practice was highly fashionable in England from the
1987 ‘Is Clay Lump a Traditional Building Material?’, Vernacular Architecture volume 18, pages 1-16. (This material is known
as adobe. Questions earlier assertions that it is an ancient material
in Britain, and shows that it came into use in East Anglia only in the
First Cottage of Clay Bats?’ Proceedings
of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society volume 76, pages 113-21. (Clay
bat is the
local name for clay lump in Cambridgeshire. About the first use of this
building material at Great Shelford in 1791. It was widely adopted in
Norfolk and Suffolk in the nineteenth century).
Hall, Tollesbury, a Thirteenth-Century Manor House’, Essex
Archaeology and History volume 18 (third series),
pages 1-16 (with Douglas Scott). (About a timber-framed aisled hall
built for Barking Abbey, still present and occupied, although much
1988 ‘Dissatisfaction with Builders in the Sixteenth Century’, Historic Buildings in Essex number 4 (November 1988), pages 9 -10. (Quotes
extensively from William Horman, 1519).
1991 ‘An Historical Enquiry into the Design and Use of Dovecotes’, Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society volume 35, pages 89-160 with an Addendum in volume 36, pages 137-8.
(A major study exposing some persistent historical fallacies
A more realistic biological approach to the subject is introduced).
1993 ‘Brentwood Marking in Cornwall’, Historic Buildings in Essex number 7 (September 1993), pages 9-12.
(A carpentry technique
associated with Essex is found in a fort in Cornwall built for King Henry
1994 ‘The Dovecote of Berechurch Hall’, Essex Archaeology and History volume 25 (third series), pages 285-8
(with Kenneth Robins).
(Reconstructs a derelict brick dovecote of circa 1800 near Colchester).
1994 ‘An Eighteenth-Century Dovecote at Stewkley’, Records of Buckinghamshire volume 36, pages 120-8. (About an octagonal
dated 1704 with ornamental brickwork and part of a revolving ladder).
Conservation of Historic Dovecotes’, Journal of Architectural Conservation volume
1, number 2, pages 78 - 96. (Of special
interest to architects and others concerned with the conservation
of dovecotes). ( Click
here for a summary & Back to Return)
1995 ‘Dovecote Design down the Ages’, Farming and Conservation volume 2, number 3 (January 1995), pages 12-5.
1995 ‘Another Thynge Done in Haste’, Historic Buildings in Essex number 9 (September 1995), pages 9 - 11.
(Describes a mistake
made by a royal carpenter in building the roof of the building misleadingly
known as Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge in Chingford, Essex - but in
fact built for Henry VIII in 1543).
1996 ‘The Influence of Rodents on the Design and Construction
of Farm Buildings in Britain, to the mid-nineteenth century’, Journal
of the Historic Farm Buildings Group volume 10, pages 1-28. (A major
study of the dating and effects of the introduction of the brown rat
Rattus norvegicus to Britain in the mid-eighteenth century).
1997 ‘The Dovecote at Hedingham Castle’, Essex Archaeology and History volume 28 (third series), pages 294-8.
(About an octagonal
brick dovecote dated 1720, altered in the early nineteenth century).
1997 ‘The Origin of Clay Lump in England’, Vernacular Architecture volume 28, pages 57-67. (Relates the origin
of this building technique
to a material first used for the nesting-boxes of dovecotes in the eighteenth
1997 Contributions about carpenter's assembly marks, granaries, dovecotes
and clay lump in: Encyclopaedia of the Vernacular
Architecture of the World (editor Paul Oliver), Cambridge University Press, 1997.
Timber-Framed Dovecote in Suffolk’, Timber
Framing number 52 (June 1999, published by the Timber Framers’ Guild
of America (with Leigh Alston). (Describes
a building of highly unusual timber construction).
and Pigeons in English Law’, Transactions
of the Ancient Monuments Society volume 44, pages 25-50. (Traces
the law on dovecotes from the fourteenth century to the present day.
are available from this address at £3.50 including postage
and packing - within the United Kingdom).
2001 ‘The Dovecote Turret of Hadleigh Deanery’, Proceedings
of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History volume
40 part 1, pages 24-30. (Describes a well-preserved dovecote turret
built in 1495.
Offprints are available at this address at £1.50 including
postage and packing - within the United Kingdom).
2001 ‘Origins of the Dovecote’, Country Life, 8 November 2001, pages 59-61. (Not really about the origins,
more about how dovecotes
were designed and used).
2001 ‘The Abandoned Dovecotes and Pigeon-lofts of Almeria’, Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group volume 14, pages 3-8. (Almeria
is the most south-easterly part of Spain, whose economy has been much
changed by drought within living memory).
Columbarium at Compton Martin Church’,
(with Frank Pexton and Mark McDermott), Somerset
Archaeology and Natural History,
volume 143, frontispiece and 133 - 40. ( Click
here for complete text )
2003 ‘Editing Cecil Hewett’, Historic
Buildings in Essex number 11 (September 2003, pages 2-3.
(About McCann’s anonymous
editing of Hewett’s English Cathedral
and Monastic Carpentry, Chichester,
More Dovecotes in Suffolk’, Proceedings
of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History, volume
40, part 4. (Describes
and illustrates two small early nineteenth-century dovecotes which
have beeen found since the book 'The Dovecotes of Suffolk' was published.)
Tower at Fingringhoe’, Essex Archaeology
and History, volume
35, pages 239-41. (About a tower combining an ice-house, a garden
pavilion and a pigeon-loft, shown on Ordnance maps as ‘Telegraph
Introduction of the Brown Rat, Rattus norvegicus’,
Somerset Archaeology and History, volume
149, pages 139-41.
Dovecotes of Rutland’ (with
Pamela McCann), Transactions
of the Ancient Monuments Society, volume 50, pages 9-36.
Houses in Norfolk: some comments’, Vernacular
Architecture, volume 38, pages 58-60. (Comments on
an article by Adam Longcroft in the previous volume).
'An Early Eighteenth-Century Dovecote at Burghill' (with
Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field
volume 54, pages 15 - 24.
'A Swedish Observer in Essex in 1747', Essex
Archaeology and History volume 102 pages 202-5. (About Pehr
Kalm's observations in 1747 on the vernacular buildings, agriculture,
fuels, heating and cooking in Essex).
'A Columbarium at Collingbourne Ducis' (with
Frank Pexton), Wiltshire
Archaeology and Natural History Magazine volume 102, pages
'Wrought Iron Windows in Somerset', Somerset
Archaeology and Natural History, volume 152, frontispiece
and pages 197-202.
'The First Glazed Windows in Vernacular Houses',
Eavesdropper, the Newsletter of Suffolk Historic Buildings Group, volume 42, pages 17-19. Summarizes the history of the window glass industry in England in the 16th century, and how glass was inserted in formerly unglazed windows.
'A Vernacular Window of 1618', Vernacular
Architecture, volume 41, pages 81-83. Analyses a picture by Pieter Breughel the Younger which includes early substitutes for glass, and relates it to early glazed windows.
2011 The Dovecotes and Pigeon Lofts of Wiltshire
(with Pamela McCann),
with a foreword by Pamela M. Slocombe, F.S.A. Wiltshire
Buildings Record. See
Books for Sale.
'Keeping Pigeons in Parish Churches', Transactions
of the Ancient Monuments Society, volume 54, pages 51-82 with an Addendum in volume 55, pages 77-8 (with
Frank Pexton). (Eight
columbaria in churches in England and Wales are described and illustrated.
All references to other columbaria reported in the literature have
'A Columbarium at Overbury Church' (with Frank
of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society, volume 22, pages 97-104.
2011 'About "potences" ', Historic Farm Buildings Group Review, no. 12, pages 19-27. About the revolving ladders in some dovecotes, with illustrations of some in France and Britain.
2011 'Engravings as evidence of dovecotes', Vernacular Architecture volume 42, pages 36 - 52. Engravings of the early eighteenth century provide valuable evidence about dovecotes while they were still in economic use.
2012 'Brick nogging', Eavesdropper, the Newsletter of the Suffolk Historic Buildings Group no. 46 (summer 2012), pages 26-29.
2014 'Buildings of the deer hunt, to 1642' (Part 1), (with Pat Ryan and Beth Davis), Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society volume 58, pages 28-59.
2015 'Buildings of the deer hunt, to 1642' (Part 2), (with Pat Ryan and Beth Davis), Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society volume 59, pages 49-69.